Saturday, January 26, 2013

mmmmmmmmmmmars bar slice.

Do you ever have one of those days, when you spot one ingredient and think mmm I need to make something with that?

Well that's sort of what happened this morning, but instead of an ingredient I saw Rice Bubbles which are only ever in my pantry when a slice is required. I haven't made any slices since last year but I had grabbed a big box of rice bubbles and they must be used up.

I know there must be heaps of different slice recipes to try that use puffed rice, but this recipe I know by heart and well to be honest I didn't get to eat any of the last mars bar slice I made. It was a request from a friend to make her some.

So with just a few ingredients this yummy slice can be made in a short amount of time.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups of Rice bubbles
3 full size mars bars or 9 fun size, chopped. (about 160g)
90g butter
200g chocolate
30g extra butter, chopped
2 tbs icing sugar, sifted


Method:
Grease or line a slice tray. I used a square baking tray this time to have a higher slice.

Melt the chopped mars bars and butter together in a saucepan over a low heat. Mix and mash until it is combined, I don't mind there being a few lumps of nougat left behind.



Pour the melted mix over the rice bubbles in a large bowl and stir to combine.


Press into the lined tray and set aside while you make the topping.


Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts stirring in between.


Then mix in the chopped extra butter and sifted icing sugar. (Most recipes I have seen don't use icing sugar but I like my topping to be chopped easily without snapping the chocolate)


Spread the topping over the slice and make a pattern with a fork if desired. (an Aunt of mine did this on all her slices, so I have carried on the tradition)


Cover and refrigerate 1 hour minimum.

Remove from the tray, slice and serve.


Now this recipe can be adapted to use any of your favorite chocolate bars. I have used Cherry ripes and Snickers bars in the past and other yummy treats can be added when mixing the melted bars into the rice bubbles - mmmm now I'm thinking toffee pieces, chopped nuts or marshmallows or coconut.

Click here to see the fab link parties I will be at.

No comments:

Post a Comment