Thursday, January 10, 2013

Starry Night...

Browsing around linky parties I come across so many great ideas.

A little while back I stumbled across Eyes on the source's blog and a great tutorial for paper stars.
These looked easy to do but I just needed a reason to make them.

After much discussion my family decided to host Christmas dinner at home this year, and there was my reason, to decorate the outdoor room with stars.

I found a pack of scrap booking paper at Big W for $12, enough to make 50 stars, with a stop off to grab some more hot glue I was set.

On a quiet evening I sat down with my stack of paper and began to fold.

Now I know I said I was decorating for Christmas, but these stars are large and I don't have a great amount of space for storage. So these stars needed to be versatile. I choose a vintage inspired paper set, thinking it could be used for other events. The stars fit the Christmas theme but the prints could be used for Kitchen teas, Baby Showers etc. and if all else fails they could end up at work where anything goes.

I began by folding all the paper in one go. Corner to corner then side to side.



Opening it up and making cuts from the straight edges to just about half way to centre.


I then folded the cut edge up to the corner fold lines all the way round. 


Repeat 47 more times to have a whole stack of stars just waiting to be glued and assembled - and sore fingers from all that crease making (you would think at some point I would of grabbed something to substitute a bone folder but NO!)


The following day after a good amount of sleep I heated up the glue gun and got ready to stick em.

Running a bead of glue along the edge of the newly folded points I overlapped the two and held for a few seconds until the glue bonded. Repeating again for all four points. On one of the points I would add a strip of curling ribbon to hang the star from later. Once two matching stars were made I placed dabs of glue and pressed those babies together to make a completed 3D star.



There were 24 stars hanging up on Christmas day, I had lots of comments from our guests and a request to use them at an upcoming 30th party. Although I will ensure they are kept to the edges of the room as I forgot we were having such tall visitors on Christmas day and we had to do a lot of weaving to avoid a poke in the head hee hee (I will blame the baubles for weighing down the stars though)

I will be linked up at these fab parties:
mop it up mondays 



saving4six













Too Much Time On My Hands
Semi Homemade Mom

A Marvelous Mess

3 comments:



  1.  Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to decorate! I like all the fun patterned papers you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the stars... also great if you can use them for another event :o) I made a couple of starts like this for my sisters baby shower last summer. I host a Tuesday Link Party if you are interested in checking out a new party... I've also got some awesome giveaways on now until Monday night... stop by!!! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/02/chinese-new-year-in-boracay.html

    ReplyDelete